The present building, designed by the renowned Glasgow architect, Patrick McGregor
Chalmers had the Foundation Stone laid in 1914. This stone is to be found on the
left-hand column of the chancel arch, at about eye-level. It was laid by Alexander
Young-Herries in 1914.
An interesting feature of the construction is the arcade separating the nave from
the aisle which is carried on three massive stone columns, one cylindrical, one octagonal
and one fluted. The variety of styles in the columns, like the variety of the shapes
of the windows, is a feature of the architect’s work.
The chancel is floored with lona marble, formed from what is reputed to have been
one of the last consignments of marble to leave the quarry on lona. The quarry closed
shortly afterwards. lona marble was also used for the four columns which carry the
font, shaped like a 12th century Norman font.
At the east end of the side aisle, is the organ loft. The organ was built in 1897
by Joseph Brooks of Glasgow, and was transferred from the previous church.
All the furnishings within the church were designed by the architect. These include,
within the apse an oak carved communion table and minister’s chair. The pulpit is
semi-octagonal in shape, built into the corner and effectively balances the very
solid font. The lecturn was bought with money donated by Miss Jessie Dalziel, and
her initials are carved on the side under the bookboard. Maid at the manse at the
time, she raised the money by knitting socks.